I Slipped and Fell, and was Injured – Now What?

Slip and fall or property liability cases arise when a person falls or is otherwise injured on someone else’s property.  If you fell and were injured, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain, suffering, and discomfort.2592190676_78229454f4_m

Property and business owners owe a general duty to those entering their premises to keep their property in a reasonable, safe condition and to use reasonable care to inspect and repair the premises and/or warn individuals in order to protect them from an unreasonable risk of harm caused by the condition of the premises.

Here are some important steps to take following a fall or other injury on someone else’s property:

Report the Incident

  • If your fall or injury occurred on business premises, report the incident to a manager on duty immediately
  • Follow any of the business’ procedures for reporting an incident (filling out a report form, providing a statement, etc.)
  • Ask for a copy of any report or statement prepared
  • If possible, get the names and contact information for any witnesses to the incident
  • If your fall or injury occurred at another’s home or on private property, make sure to report the incident to the property owner
  • Ask for their homeowner’s or property insurance information, in case a claim needs to be submitted

Document the Incident Site

  • Take photographs of the location of your fall/injury as soon as possible – especially in the case of a fall due to icy weather conditions or a wet floor, the conditions can change quickly and it can be helpful to have documentation of the actual conditions at the time of your injury
  • Make note of whether the property owner made any attempts to mitigate or warn of a dangerous condition of the property – for example, was there salt or sand placed on an icy sidewalk?  Was there a “wet floor” warning sign placed near a spill?

Some property owners may have medical pay coverage, which can provide compensation for medical bills as a result of injury on their property.  If your injuries require medical treatment by a doctor, you may be entitled to some immediate coverage of your medical bills, in addition to a later settlement depending on the extent of your injuries.

A slip and fall case can be traumatic and stressful for all parties involved.  A lawyer who specializes in slip and fall injury cases will be able to assess your individual case and can counsel you through the process.

If you experience a slip and fall claim, contact a personal injury lawyer at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Foss today to schedule a consultation.  There are many details that can affect the outcome of these cases, and it is best to have a lawyer on your side.

Image courtesy of/ Reuben Strayer