Tatum O’Brien Partner
When you think of a quality that describes the attorney working for you, does “tenacious” come to mind? That’s what Tatum’s clients say about her.
Tatum was born and raised in Western North Dakota. Her extensive experience in and out of the courtroom, coupled with a work ethic that simply doesn’t stop, has earned her a solid reputation as an attorney who represents her clients with tenacity and skill.
Tatum’s areas of concentration include criminal law, personal injury, and general litigation. Prior to joining the firm, she was a law clerk for all eight judges in the East Central Judicial District, Cass County, North Dakota.
Tatum earned her undergraduate degree in Sociology with criminal justice emphasis from North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota. She graduated with distinction from the University Of North Dakota School Of Law. While in law school, Tatum was a law clerk at the Morley Law Firm, Grand Forks, North Dakota. Tatum also spent a summer as an extern with the US Attorney’s Office, District of North Dakota.
Over her years in practice, Tatum has become recognized as a highly skilled and experienced attorney representing clients in criminal and personal injury cases. She has extensive experience helping clients who have experienced issues of medical malpractice, serious personal injury, and wrongful death.
Tatum believes being involved in local, regional and national organizations helps her become a more well-rounded advocate for her clients. Her involvement in professional organizations helps her learn from others, which in turn assures she brings the best representation possible for her clients. She works hard to advocate for change on the state and national level.
- Served as President of the North Dakota Association for Justice 2015-2016. She continues to serve on the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors.
- In 2012 Tatum was appointed to the Board of Governors of the American Association of Justice
- Member of the Injury Board – a national organization of trial attorneys focused on improving their practices through education and local community involvement
- First Lego League Coach – Kennedy Elementary (Fargo)
- Dalwhinnie Award for Exemplary Trial Work by North Dakota Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers in 2010
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers
- SuperLawyer (annually 2013 – present)
- Global Directory of Who’s Who – Attorney Section
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- General Litigation
Admitted to Practice in
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- Federal Courts in North Dakota
- Federal Courts in South Dakota
- Federal Courts in Minnesota
- 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Cass County Bar Association
- North Dakota Association for Justice, Executive Board, past President
- Clay County Bar Association
- UND Law Mentor Program
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Act Panel for Federal Appointments
- Past President – North Dakota Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Association for Justice – Revitalization Governor, Board of Governors
- Injury Board
- Member – American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
- Minnesota Association for Justice