A casual bike ride is a great way to enjoy an afternoon. The sun is shining, the weather is pleasant, and you are getting some exercise while cruising around town. It can make for a pleasant time until the driver of a car isn’t paying attention to you and hits you and your bike while making a right turn. If you find yourself lying on the pavement, what do you do next?
In order to recover for sustained injuries and damage to your bike, there are some things you should do.
- Wait for the police to arrive: The driver may exit their vehicle and immediately apologize and admit to blame. However, they can always deny that admission at a later time. Do not try to negotiate with them, simply wait for the police to document everything that happened in the police report. Additionally, they could ticket the driver, which can prove to be helpful when settling the case with the insurance company.
- Make sure your statement is in the accident report: Be sure to report all your injuries, regardless of how major or minor, and insist your side of the story is in the report. Police may sometimes only interview the motorist.
- Gather contact information: Get the name and phone number of the driver, as well as their driver’s license number, license plate number, and insurance information. Additionally, try to get information from witnesses to the accident.
- Document: Take mental notes or write down what happened during the accident, how it happened, the location and setting, etc. Be sure to document your injuries by seeking medical attention for them, even if they may seem minor. That way, medical records can document the extent of those injuries. Take photos and keep track of your symptoms.
- Keep your evidence: Keep the bike in the same shape it was when it was initially damaged. Don’t repair it. Don’t wash the clothes you were wearing. Take photos of the evidence.
In addition to calling the police and your insurance company, be sure to contact an attorney. The skilled lawyers at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Foss Attorneys are knowledgeable in the area of personal injury and auto accidents. Their competent attorneys will help you obtain the compensation you deserve.