What You Need to Know About Motor Vehicle Insurance | O'Keeffe O'Brien Lyson Attorneys

What You Need to Know About Motor Vehicle Insurance

car insurance criminal law fargo nd

Many individuals are confused about the various insurance laws in the state of Minnesota. As a result, individuals who are involved in vehicular accidents are frequently uncertain about how to proceed. This article will review some of the basic information that motorists in Minnesota should understand about how insurance operates in the state. 

No Fault Coverage

In the state of Minnesota, no fault insurance is required for all motor vehicle operators. This coverage is included in Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which is a required element of insurance. As a result of this insurance, any medical expenses that arise due to injuries in a car accident are paid by the motor vehicle operator’s own insurance company. No fault insurance covers only certain types of out-of-pocket expenses that are incurred due to personal injury or death or arising from the maintenance or use of a vehicle. This insurance is “capped” at $20,000 for lost wages and $20,000 for medical bills: thus each claim has up to $40,000 total. No fault insurance, however, does not apply to property damage or pain and suffering.

Liability Claims 

In some cases, a person can make a “liability claim” against the owner or driver of a vehicle provided that the accident caused by the other driver and the person who is pursuing the claim is able to satisfy one of the no-fault thresholds. These thresholds include that the person initiating the claim has at least $4,000 in medical treatment expenses, is unable to work or perform daily activities for at least 60 days or has a permanent injury as determined by a physician, has permanent disfigurement or scarring, or dies as a result of the accident. Liability claims let individuals who are harmed in accidents obtain compensation for emotional damages, pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills. 

Other Required Insurance in Minnesota 

In addition to no fault insurance coverage, motor vehicle operators in Minnesota are required to have insurance coverage for the following areas:

  • Bodily Injury Liability: This coverage protects individuals who might be harmed if a person caused an accident and harms another person.
  • Property Damage Liability: This coverage protects damage to other motor vehicles or property if a person caused an accident.
  • Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This coverage is for a motor vehicle operator and his or her family if he or she is harmed by a person without insurance or a sufficient amount of insurance. 

The Assistance of a Minnesota Accident Attorney

The attorneys at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Attorneys understand the many complexities involved with vehicular insurance. If you are involved in a vehicular accident, contact our law office immediately so that one of our personal injury lawyers Tim O’Keeffe, Tatum O’Brien, and Sara Monson can help you navigate the many obstacles that are known to arise. Contact our law office today at 701-235-8000 or 877-235-8002.