Traffic crashes happen – far too often – and they often end in tragedy. North Dakota’s traffic crash stats are illuminating and worthy of taking into careful consideration. If another motorist leaves you injured in a traffic crash, don’t put off consulting with an experienced Fargo personal injury attorney.
Crashes Not Accidents
North Dakota’s Department of Transportation’s 2018 North Dakota Crash Summary would like to make it clear that traffic crashes are not accidents. The word accident lends itself to the notion that these dangerous events are outside of the control of the at-fault drivers involved, when this is, in fact, not the case. On the bright side, however, traffic crashes are preventable.
The Crash Summary shares all of the following important statistics:
- In North Dakota, traffic crashes are the leading cause of injury-related fatalities.
- About 94 percent of traffic crashes are attributable to a preventable form of human negligence.
- Every year, there are more than 15,000 traffic crashes that lead to serious injuries, property damage, and even death in North Dakota.
- In 2018, there were 105 traffic fatalities in North Dakota.
- The single most effective safety mechanism for helping to prevent crash-related injuries and fatalities is the seatbelt.
- Texting is the deadliest distraction, and it leaves motorists 23 times more likely to be involved in a crash – or near-crash event. A texting motorist is six times more likely to be involved in a traffic crash than even a drunk driver. In 2017, 9 percent of fatal traffic crashes nationwide were related to driver distraction.
- Excess speed continues to be one of the most dangerous driving practices. In 2018, speed and/or other aggressive driving practices played a pivotal role in more than 40 percent of crash fatalities in North Dakota. In 2017, there were 9,717 total crash-related fatalities in the United States.
It’s Time to Consult with an Experienced Fargo Personal Injury Attorney
Traffic crashes are nearly always attributable to driver negligence, and if you’ve been so injured, the skilled personal injury attorneys at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Attorneys in Fargo are well-positioned to build your strongest case and strategically negotiate for the compensation to which you are entitled. Your case matters, so please email one of our experienced personal injury attorneys – Tatum O’Brien, Tim O’Keeffe, or Sara Monson – or give us a call at 701-235-8000 or 877-235-8002 (toll-free) for more information today.