My Child is Being Bullied. What Should I Do? | O'Keeffe O'Brien Lyson Attorneys

My Child is Being Bullied. What Should I Do?

sad kid family law fargo

Bullying has been an issue in our school systems for many years. However, with the increasing popularity of cell phones and social media, students are witnessing a new, harsher form of bullying – cyberbullying. In order to protect our children and put an end to bullying and cyberbullying in our school systems, parents need to take a stand in the fight against this behavior. Learn what you should do if your student is a victim of bullying.

Teach Your Kid Methods of Coping

Simply teaching your child to cope with bullying may sound like the easy way out. However, teaching your child the skills to deflect the negative comments of others will help them succeed in life.

Some great skills to cope with bullying are:

  • Ignoring the bully
  • Avoiding tormentors
  • Standing up for him/herself
  • Using humor to deflect taunting
  • Enlisting the help of a teacher or other authority

Contact Your Child’s Teacher

A teacher’s job is to ensure each and every student is feeling safe and accepted at school. However, if the teacher does not see the bullying, he/she may not know about the mistreatment.

Contacting your child’s teacher will assure that he/she is aware of the problem. The teacher will have the opportunity to watch out for your child and put a stop to any mistreatment he/she observes. A teacher can even inform other staff members of the problem to help your child feel safe and protected on school grounds.

What if the Bullying Continues?

If you have contacted your student’s teacher and the bullying continues, we encourage you to do two things:

  • Document each and every incident.
  • Talk to anyone who should be informed to ensure your child’s safety is of utmost importance.

Last Resort:

We understand how important it is that your child feels safe at school and how bullying can impact a child’s physical and emotional health. If the bullying continues after you have exhausted all other options, legal action may be your only option. If that is the case, Tracy Lyson is an experienced family law attorney who can help. Call 701-235-8000 or 877-235-8002 to get the help you need.