If you are facing drug charges in North Dakota, you are facing serious charges, and you need the professional legal counsel of an experienced Fargo criminal defense attorney. North Dakota take such charges extremely seriously, and so should you. The fact is that drug conviction can affect your future in surprisingly negative ways. When it comes to drug-related charges, be proactive and never take a wait-and-see attitude.
Controlled Dangerous Substance Laws
The controlled dangerous substance (CDS) laws in North Dakota make it a felony or misdemeanor depends on substance quantity and drug history) to possess CDS without a current medical prescription. CDS refers to any number of drugs, but the most prevalent include street drugs like heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, and also common prescription medication like hydrocodone or even ritalin. The legal consequences of possession are significant, but the consequences of making and/or selling these pharmaceuticals are more so. Possession near a school, daycare, or preschool increases the charges and attendant penalties.
Drug-related charges are not only serious but are also exceedingly complicated and can be affected by a range of variables:
- The specific type of drug in your possession
- The amount of said drug in your possession
- The circumstances surrounding your possession of the drug
- Your criminal history, if any
- The legalities of the search and seizure process implemented by the arresting officer(s)
Drug-related charges often involve many moving parts, but a skilled Fargo criminal defense attorney will aggressively advocate for your case’s best possible resolution. Drug charges are overwhelming, but don’t let that stop you from seeking the professional legal counsel you need.
If you are convicted of a drug-related crime, you will likely end up with a permanent criminal record, and this record can have long-term, overarching negative consequences:
- Employers often do background checks, and a criminal record can prevent you from even making it to the interview stage.
- A drug-related conviction can affect your ability to obtain a loan to purchase a home (or anything else).
- A drug-related conviction can also affect your ability to rent a home or apartment.
- If you are a student, such a conviction can cause your student loans to be revoked.
- A drug-related conviction can exclude you from enlisting in certain branches of the military.
If You Are Facing Drug-Related Charges, Consult with an Experienced Fargo Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
Being faced with drug-related charges is overwhelming, but the dedicated legal team at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Attorneys in Fargo is here to help. Drug-related charges are complicated, but your future is far too important not to bring your best defense. Our experienced criminal defense lawyers are committed to helping you fight for the most positive outcome of your case. For more information, please email Tatum O’Brien or give us a call at 701-235-8000 or 877-235-8002 (toll-free) today.