The North Dakota Child Custody Attorney
Divorce is one of the most difficult processes a person can endure; disputes over the well-being of the children of the marriage make that difficult situation even worse. The child custody attorney team at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Attorneys realize that, while a harmonious plan for the custody of the children is ideal, the emotional volatility of a divorce often spills over into heated disagreements over which parent will provide primary care of the children. An experienced, compassionate family law attorney can help cut through the emotion involved and guide you through your options towards the best possible outcome.
In North Dakota, custody is awarded after consideration of a variety of factors, including, but not limited to:
- The emotional ties between the parents and the children
- The emotional and financial capacity of the parents to provide the children with love, affection, and guidance and further their educational requirements
- The ability of the parents to provide the children with food, clothing, medical care, etc.
- The amount of time the children have lived in a suitable, stable home environment and the desirability to maintain that environment
- Indications of domestic violence
- The moral, physical, and mental fitness of the parents
- The child’s or children’s home, community, and school history
- If deemed appropriate by the court, the preferences of the child or children
- The interactions and relationships between the children and any possible persons living in or visiting the home of a parent that may significantly impact the best interests of the child.
- False allegations and accusations made in bad faith by one parents against the other of harming a child.
Given the variety of factors considered when awarding child custody, it’s crucial to retain the services of experienced North Dakota child custody law. The Fargo, ND attorneys focused on child custody at O’Keeffe O’Brien Lyson Attorneys are prepared to fight for your rights.
Contact or call us today 701-235-8000.